Monday, November 17, 2008

The Hypocrisy of the "Tolerance" Movement

(With apologies to Maurine Jensen Proctor and Meridian Magazine for the title.)
I don't care what anybody else does in the privacy of their own bedroom, and I really don't want to hear about it, but I also don't want anybody else telling me that I should tolerate or support whatever they want to do.

The unrest after the passage of California's Proposition 8 is a clear example of the hypocrisy of the those who say we should be tolerant of differences. Here are some examples of what they are doing:

http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/081110hate.html

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/lineuponline/081117battle.html

http://www.ldsmag.com/familyleadernetwork/081114tolerance.html

A part of me wants to pray that these protesters are struck by lightning for even touching the fence around the temple grounds, more so for defacing and vandalizing it. But, The Lord doesn't work that way, and I must remind myself that He is allowing them to ripen in their iniquity so that their future punishment will be just and appropriate.

In the meantime, in addition to going about our lives and doing all the good that we can, I wonder what we can do about these protesting the freedoms that we so cherish in the United States of America.

However, it also brings to mind the words of Alexander Pope, from his Essay on Man:
Vice is a monster of so frightful mien,
As, to be hated, needs but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace.

No comments: