Friday, May 22, 2009

Why I Am a Conservative

I ran across this today:

"As important as are all other principles of the gospel, it was the freedom issue which determined whether you received a body. To have been on the wrong side of the freedom issue during the war in heaven meant eternal damnation. How then can Latter-day Saints expect to be on the wrong side in this life and escape the eternal consequences? The war in heaven is raging on earth today..." (Ezra Taft Benson. General Conference Talk - April 1965. Not Commanded in All Things.)

So, knowing that, how can any LDS person be anything other than conservative, if not libertarian?

2 comments:

Angela said...

I agree, I don't know how you can be LDS and not conservative. I don't know about the libertarian part though. From what I understand, I don't think they have everything right.

Richard A. Smith said...

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the Libertarian party either (which is why I wrote it with a lower case "l"), but at least they seem to be in favor of total and complete freedom, which is the way it should be. The Republican party has become two-faced, schizophrenic and powerless. I'm very tempted to switch parties.