Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Questions That Need Answers

I have recently been researching the national health care plan, and it seems that everybody, from the kooks in the White House to the kooks in the backwoods, has a different answer for all of the questions below. It also seems that there are scaremongers on both sides of the aisle, and up every tree. All I really want are straight answers, without any scare tactics, political patronization or double-talk.

However, I highly suspect that no one has any straight answers to these questions because nobody really knows, nobody has really read the whole bill, nobody really knows what Obama, Reid and Pelosi have up their sleeves and nobody trusts anybody with the truth.

So, I've posted some of what I feel are the most important questions here and I invite you to post your as well, and invite your friends to do so, as well. Then, after the August recess is over, I'll compile them into a strongly worded letter and send them off to Washington. We'll see what happens, but I don't expect much.

From The Heritage Foundation:
  • Can you promise me that I will not lose my current plan and doctor?
  • Can you promise that you and your family will enroll in the public plan?
  • Can you promise that Obamacare will not lead to higher deficits in the long term?
  • Can you promise that government bureaucrats will not ration health care for patients on the public plan?
  • Can you promise me that my tax dollars will not fund abortions?

From TCSDaily.com:
  • What will we do about the large projected deficit in Medicare?
  • What can we do to reduce government subsidies for extravagant use of medical procedures with high costs and low benefits?
  • What should we do about the health care needs of the very poor?
  • What should we do about the health care needs of the very sick?
  • What should we do about a scenario in which both income inequality and the share of average income devoted to health care rise sharply?

And a few of my own:
  • What proof do we have, and can the government truthfully promise us, that the government can manage health care better (i.e.: more efficiently, with more savings of time, money and life, and with more satisfied customers) than private entities?
  • How can we pay for health care, economic stimuli, bailouts, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare and all the other entitlements, without the country going deeper into debt?
  • At his point, is there any way at all that the country can get out of debt in my lifetime, so that this burden is not left to my children, grandchildren, and their posterity, or are we destined for bankruptcy?
  • What if I don't want health insurance? What if I want to be self-insured?
  • Is freedom more important than health, economics or political gain?

I'm anxious to see what you think about it.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Those are all great questions. I think the answers can already be found in statements made by various administration officials and congressional members, none of them good. Public option WILL lead to single-payer, that's what it's designed to do and there are several proponents of public option(some who are in Congress and one our own President) who are counting on it leading to single-payer.
Even if the worst-case-scenario talking points aren't true Common Sense tells you that it can't be paid for which means they'll have to cut costs somehow. They say that it will save money on one hand but then when they're told it will cost too much they promise it will be "budget neutral". Which is it? If it's budget neutral we're not saving any money and we might as well not do it.
Once it becomes single payer we have no hope because it will be a monopoly. Remember how monopolies are bad? Where will we go then?